Sunday 7 January 2018

Sweet Sweet Watermelon Nail Art


Hello everyone,

I hope you all enjoyed the holiday season, whether celebrated or otherwise. I have been enjoying some time out with friends and family as well as exploring the beauty of North East Victoria. And of course, stocking up on some new polishes. I think I picked up about 20 new ones over the last two weeks, woops! 

I thought I'd start 2018 off with a super sweet summer-perfect nail art. A fun Holo watermelon design! I am not really to keen on using holos/glitters and the like in my nail art design, but I'm trying to get around that because I have some amazing Holo's that I don't often get to use, not to mention the thousands more I want to get my hands on. So, I decided to go all out with this one, holo everything! Well, almost. I also used a shimmer. Not that you can really see in these photos, but that's okay, I know it's there. Keep reading for a list of nail polish and tools I used to create this nail art design. 

Sweet Sweet Watermelon Nail Art

I used these polishes:
Paradise Punch by Lilypad Lacquer
Lime Zinger by Lilypad Lacquer
Mint Mojito by Lilypad Lacquer
Be Happy & Smile by Essence
Suzi Skis In The Pyrenees by OPI
Ready To Take Off by UNT
Kwik Dry Top Coat by Sally Hansen

The tools I used are:
French Tip Guides
Short striping brush


Sweet Sweet Watermelon with Paradise Punch


To create this nail art design, I started with with Ready to Take Off, then applied two coats of Be Happy & Smile as my base colour. Once dry, I applied Kwik Dry Top Coat. Giving this ample time to dry, I got Paradise Punch & Mint Mojito ready to go. I placed the french tip guide slightly above the middle of the nail, making sure to press them down tightly to avoid bleeding. Once in place, I applied Mint Mojito closest to the cuticle & Paradise Punch on the opposite side. Once I was satisfied with the opacity and prior to drying, I removed the guide. As you can see, with the first nail it was quite easy to remove, but as I went along it got harder and harder to remove each of the guides. This is because of the peel off base coat I used. I should have applied the guides to the nail as I did each one, rather than putting them all on at once. Lesson learned!
Moving on, I then took my short striping brush with Lime Zinger and created small lines over Mint Mojito. After cleaning the brush, I used Suzi Skis In The Pyrenees to create the seeds. I then finished off with a Kwik Dry Top Coat.


Sweet Sweet Watermelon with Mint Mojito

This is a design I've wanted to try doing for ages! I have no idea why it has taken this long, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, despite the lifting. I hoped the top coat would help weigh it down, but it clearly didn't. I have learned my lesson, though. This is not the first time this has happened, however I hope it's the last. I guess you could call this a bit of a nail fail.

On a side note, I always find it funny that most watermelon designs have seeds, considering most people hate seeds in the fruit, but I suppose it does add to the whole design. I think if I were to do this again, I'd probably use a dotting tool instead of the brush for seeds, as most of these look pretty terrible. 

What do you think?
Have you done this popular design?

Thanks for stopping by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment