Sunday 22 January 2017

Australia Day Skittle Nail Art

G'day everyone!

If you're Australian, you'll know that it's coming up to Australia Day, where we celebrate being bogans by getting wasted while cooking a good barbecue. So, I've created some green and "gold" pride nail art. I decided to do some more skittle nails (more here) just to mix things up.

I chose to do green & "gold" because the typical red white and blue of our flag is too common with other countries' flags. 

Here's the full set on display.

Australian Skittle Nails

As always, they were really simple. I did take my time and did each nail individually before moving on to the next one, so they were a little time consuming. Not that I mind. 

For these nails I used two colours: Mellow Yellow - Sally Hansen & Fatal Attraction - BYS. 

The break down:

Australian Blobbicure

This is my first attempt at a blobbicure. I was a little scared about doing this because I have a horrible habit of wrecking my nails whilst waiting for them to dry. Fortunately, I didn't this time. I applied two coats of Mellow Yellow as my base. Once it was dry I added a third coat and dropped blobs of Fatal Attraction down the center and let them disperse for a second before continuing to add more to fill in the rest of the nail. I tried to keep them all separate and varying in size. Once the nail was full I allowed them to dry for about half an hour because of the extra amount of polish.

Union Jack in Green & "Gold"
I decided to do the Union Jack, which is prominent on the Australian Flag. To do this, I painted two coats of Fatal Attraction and added a quick dry top coat. Using striping tape I created the larger cross with two strips going down the middle of the nail and two running across. I then used one piece diagonally over the center on both sides. Then I applied two coats of Mellow Yellow and removed the tape. Because the yellow was a little thinner than I expected, I had to leave the tape on until I could paint the second layer. Luckily, there were no sticky messy lines. After removing the tape, I added a top coat.

Southern Cross Dotticure
This is the Southern Cross, which is a constellation found in the Australian night sky and also features on our flag. I did this as a dotticure because I had no faith in myself trying to do small stars, haha. I used two coats of Fatal Attraction which, looking back now, I wish I'd used a third. Once dry I used a dotting tool and Mellow Yellow to create the pattern of the Southern Cross, then added a quick dry top coat. 

I also did an Aboriginal inspired dot art on my thumb using Mellow Yellow as a base, Fatal Attraction and white for the dots, but the photos didn't work out. I painted my pinky with Mellow Yellow.


Australia Day Skittle Nails
That's it. All done and ready to celebrate. I hope all you Aussies have a wonderful and safe day of celebrating. 

Are you doing Australian themed nails? Share them with me!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment